The 2011 World Water Week in Stockholm closed today with participants calling on leadership at all levels of government to commit to achieving “universal provisioning of safe drinking water, adequate sanitation and modern energy services by the year 2030” and to adopt intervening targets to increase efficiency in the management of water, energy and food.
The targets proposed to be achieved by the year 2020:
• 20% increase in total food supply-chain efficiency
• 20% increase in water efficiency in agriculture
• 20% increase in water use efficiency in energy production
• 20% increase in the quantity of water reused
• 20% decrease in water pollution
The full Stockholm statement available at: www.worldwaterweek.org/2011_stockholm_statement