SOCIETY FOR WATER AND SANITAION (NEWSAN) And Water and Sanitation Media Network
THE WATER LED CRISIS AT NASARAWA STATE UNIVERSITY, KEFFI
1. The Society for Water and Sanitation (NEWSAN) and Water and Sanitation Media Network (WASH Media Network) condemns the avoidable loss of lives at Nasarawa State University, Keffi, last week, where an acute shortage of drinking water in the university led to a crisis that resulted in the death of some undergraduates.
2. NEWSAN and the WASH Media Network believe this tragic occurrence would have been avoided if the students had access to safe water supplies within the campus.
3. The authorities of Nasarawa State University, Keffi, and the Nassarawa State Government should therefore accept full responsibility for this loss of innocent lives and ensure the families of the victims are adequately compensated with a least N10m each.
4. NEWSAN and the WASH Media Network notes deplorable tate of water and sanitation facilities in almost all tertiary institutions in Nigeria as students bath and defecate in the open.
5. We therefore call on the Federal and State Ministries of Education and all authorises of higher educational institutions in Nigeria to ensure there is adequate access to safe water and sanitation services on campuses, as a step towards making them conducive for learning.
6. The Federal Government should declare a state of emergency in the water and sanitation sector, and implement its commitments made at various high level meetings to increase access to safe water and sanitation services for Nigerians.
Chair, Water and Sanitation Media Network
National Coordinator, NEWSAN
March 2, 2013